What is your Plastic Footprint?
Do you know how much waste you produce each day?
In Hong Kong the average person throws out 1.53kg of waste every day – that is over 550kg a year or 2.2 tonnes for a family of 4!
There is no doubt that we all have to reduce our waste.
Will you take on the challenge and do a Plastic Footprint Investigation to find out the size of your plastic footprint?
What do I need to do?
- Collect (clean and store) all the plastic waste you create in a specific period of time, i.e. one week
- At the end of the time period, lay out all the plastic on the floor or a table and categorise it by what it’s used for. For example: bags, personal care products, food packaging, takeaway containers, etc.
- Record the amount with a photo and make a list of all you use.
Now the real challenge begins!
- What plastic habits can you change?
- How can you use less plastic?
- Can you switch to reusables for any of these items?
- Can you get some of the products without the packaging?
- Which company could you contact first to request that they reduce their packaging?